If you’ve ever been to summer camp, you know it’s a time-honored mess hall tradition to wash down lunch and dinner with an ice cold cup of bug juice. New campers don’t need to worry that this summer specialty is made from real bugs (but they’ll usually give their glasses a second look, just to make sure). So if it’s not made from real bug juice, what exactly is in the pitcher? It just so happens that we here at CYJ are professional bug juicers, and we’ll let you in on our favorite recipe!
- A packet of your favorite flavor of powdered drink mix (or fruit juice for a healthier option).
- A packet of your other favorite flavor of powdered drink mix (or fruit juice)!
- Sugar (if needed)
- Add-Ins: gummy worms, skittles or frozen fruit
You’ll also need a pitcher and something to stir with.
Juice Between You and Us:
- We always start with a packet of our two favorite flavors of powdered drink mixes (for us, it’s half grape and half raspberry). We pour the mixes into a pitcher and add as much water as the packet recommends.
- If the juice seems sweet enough, leave it in the fridge to chill. If not, don’t be afraid to add a little extra sugar. And of course, if you’re very thirsty, you can just add ice and drink it right away!
- Here is what makes it the BEST bug juice ever… the add-ins! Toss some gummy worms into the pitcher or freeze them in an ice cube tray filled with juice, then drop them in. Or, for a healthier option, you can add your favorite frozen fruit.
The truth is that CYJ serves “bug juice” only once a week and its actual lemonade we serve on cookout dinners. We have cut back on sugars and encourage drinking more water at meals and throughout the day. It is still fun to remember the nostalgia of “Bug Juice” though! We can’t count how many simple and fun ways there are to put your own spin on this summer camp classic. If you make your own bug juice to celebrate the start of summer, remember to tag us on Instagram and Facebook!