Hi Camp Parents!
Welcome to our Camp Prep series, where we walk through everything you need to know to get you ready for the summer. In our first email we introduced you to the Merakzim (unit heads) and now we will cover transportation.
Getting to Camp – Bus, Car, or Plane?
- The camp experience truly begins on the bus – getting to know other campers and staff, learning cheers and songs – so we recommend that you send your child to camp by bus (available free of charge from Austin, Dallas, and Houston). Not only does taking the bus help campers transition into camp mode, it also helps the parents with their “goodbyes.”
- Some parents will want to drive their kids to camp on opening day. We ask that campers arriving by car be in line outside of the camp gate by 11:00 am on opening day. If you drive your child, please plan on leaving as soon as your child is settled so that we can get started on the activities for the day.
- Those traveling by air should fly into Austin and we will arrange for your child to be brought from the airport to camp. Please schedule flights that arrive at Austin Bergstrom Airport between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm so that we can better coordinate trips to the airport and make sure that arriving campers get to camp early and don’t miss any of the day’s activities. Any special flight arrangements that arrive to a different airport or at a different time must be pre-approved by the camp director.
- While we encourage you to send your kids to camp on the bus, we invite your family to join us at camp for closing day at 10:30 am. Your kids will be excited to introduce you to their counselors and give you a tour of their cabins and favorite spots at camp. We will treat you to a kosher BBQ lunch before you head back home.
- Because camp ends on a Monday, we know that not everyone will be able to make it to camp for Closing Day. We offer buses home to Houston and Dallas for a $40 fee per camper.
- Those campers flying home should schedule flights between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm that we can better coordinate trips to and from the Austin airport.
Ofarim Mini A’s
- Mini A’s will share their Opening Day (June 15th or July 13th) with the rest of camp, and should arrive at 11:00 am with all other campers.
- On their Closing Day (either June 25th or July 23rd), we ask that parents pick up Mini A campers at 10:30 am. We will have a special presentation for you before you take your campers home.
Ofarim Mini B’s
- Mini B’s will need to arrive at camp with parents at 2:00 pm on their Opening Day (June 30th or July 28th).
- They will share Closing Day with the rest of camp and can participate in the all-camp activities that begin at 10:30 am.
Other important travel notes
- If you are unable to pick your child up from camp and would like them to be picked up by another family member or friend, please let us know. You can note it on your transportation form or email us in the office before closing day.
- Please make sure your transportation form is filled out completely and updated if anything changes. For logistical and safety reasons, we need to know exactly which kids will be traveling by each mode and when they are coming and going. You can find your transportation form along with the rest of the forms in your CampInTouch Account.
- If you need driving directions to camp, search in our Help Database for “Driving Directions” from your city to find your best route. GPS and online maps can lead you the wrong way at times.
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask: [email protected] or 713-723-8354. You can also search our Help Database (help.cyjtexas.org) to learn more about not only transportation but anything you may be wondering about to get ready for camp.
Next up in Camp Prep series: Food!
Camp Prep Series:
- Get Ready for Camp Webinar
- Prep #1: Meet the Merakzim
- Prep #2: Transportation
- Prep #3: Food at Camp (4/26/17)
- Prep #4: Packing (5/3/17)
- Prep #5: Campouts (5/10/17)
- Prep #6: The Camper Care Team (5/17/17)
- Prep #7: Homesickness (5/24/17)
- Prep #7: Communications with your Camper (5/31/17)