Are you a college student interested in working in a camp environment during the year? Do you have experience in Jewish and Israeli programming? Apply to be a CYJ Retreats Intern today!
What is the job? CYJ offers a series of weekend retreats during the year. As a CYJ Retreats Intern, your role is very similar to a summer counselor at Camp. See the FAQS below for more detailed information.
You can contact us with any questions.
OR, if you’re already excited about spending your Spring semester working at CYJ, apply now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a more specific breakdown of responsibilities of the position.
Pre- and post-retreat responsibilities:
- Attend one training session a month (in person or webinar)
- Participate in pre and post event debriefings
- Plan 1 program for each event
Responsibilities during a retreat:
- Plan or help run programming throughout the weekend for children and/or adults
- Be aware of the schedule and their responsibilities for the weekend
- Depending on the weekend, oversee a bunk of children
- Help with setup and breakdown of programs
- Actively supervise children at all times
- Be on time and prepared for programs and meals
- Be available to children and families for questions and other needs
- Sit with participants at meals and get to know them
CYJ Retreats Interns will be required to work one weekend a month. Below you’ll find the list of weekend events:
|Board Retreat Weekend||Fri. Feb 17th
|Sun. Feb 19th
|Spring Camp||Fri. March 3rd
|Sun. March 5th
|Passover Camp||Thurs. April 13th
|Sun. April 16th
|Camp Bat Mitzvah||Fri. May 12th
|Sun. May 14th
- Staff that can commit to arriving the night before the event will receive an extra $50 for helping with setup.
- If you work all four events we’ll give you a $100 gift card of your choice in May
- College student
- Desire and ability to work with children and adults in the camp setting
- Ability to accept supervisor guidance
- Flexible and adaptable
- Act as a role model for children
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
- Experience in Israel/Jewish programming
As a CYJ Retreats Intern, you’ll get the opportunity to develop and grow real world skills such as leadership, teamwork, problem solving, and communication. You’ll also gain experience in planning and leading Jewish and Israeli programs for children and adults. During the events you have the chance to impact children and their families in a positive way, as well as make connections and build relationships with the Jewish communities of Texas and beyond. In fact, we’ve even had staff network and find full time jobs from the people they’ve met at CYJ retreats. In addition to the professional growth opportunities, you get free room and board for the weekend. You also get to spend fun and rewarding weekends at camp with other equally motivated and enthusiastic staff.
Complete the Retreats Intern application on the CYJ website. You will be required to submit 3 references in the application. After we’ve reviewed your application we’ll contact you to set up an interview.
Click here to fill out the Retreat Center Intern application.